Monday, November 26, 2007

a soggy day in houston town

Greetings from Houston! We just got back from seeing Tori Amos' American Doll Posse World Tour downtown at Jones Hall. It was a great show. Tori came out as Clyde, one of her doll characters from the latest CD. Clyde performed Bouncing Off Clouds, Little Earthquakes, Juarez, Mary, Little Amsterdam and Beauty of Speed.

Later Tori came out as Tori, donning a bright orange wig with straight-across bangs and wearing a sequined stars and stripes american flag body suit thing that was sleeveless on one side. Can you picture it? If I come across a photo of it, I will share.

Tori performed Big Wheel, Space Dog, Pancake, Cornflake Girl, Doughnut Song and Glory of the 80's. While the band took a break, she did an improv and a few other tunes, like Cloud on my Tongue. Once the band returned to the stage, she did a few more songs with them (not worth mentioning) and finished the show with two encores: Precious Things and Not David Bowie, and Hey Jupiter.

In case anyone's keeping score, it was my 12th Tori concert and Sam's 13th (the one time he went without me was when he got to meet her). The crowd was well behaved (I thought). Not too many interruptions. And the venue was nice. They offered some catered fare, which I don't believe I've seen at a concert before. Salads, pasta, panini, cheesecake... It all looked great, but of course it came at a cost -- I bought a chocolate chip cookie and a small bottle of water for $5. But it said Jones Hall on the label, does that count? They also have their own napkins, ooh!

Speaking of food... [rewind] We ate at Cafe Adobe today. I tried the signature Avocado Adobe. They take half an avocado, stuff it with cheese and your choice of ground beef, fajita chicken or steak, lightly batter, fry and top with ranchero sauce. Mmm!

After that we went to see the Menil Collection and to visit the Rothko Chapel. Interesting!

So far, our time in Houston has been rewarding, especially when you take into consideration that it rained incessantly on us all the way here, including the time we spent detouring on highway 190 thanks to the natural gas well that is still burning near I-10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous! It sounds like you are having a great time! Tell me more about the food though. lol Isn't it time for you two to come back to work yet? Be safe and think about me!